Sounds like a pretty decent day, right? That’s what we’re sayin’! Come join us at the 2nd annual Korean BBQ Cookoff in downtown LA this Saturday (the event drew a crowd of over 10,000 last year). They lovely organizers (the Korean American Coalition) just got in touch with us and we’ve agreed to do a raffle prize of a year’s supply of Granny Choe’s award-winning, a$$-kicking kimchi (We love using parentheses). See you guys there! All the gory details are below:
WHAT: Los Angeles’s Second Annual Korean BBQ Cook-off will showcase some of the best dishes by top Korean BBQ restaurants. Presented by the Korean American Coalition – Los Angeles, Councilmember Herb J. Wesson, Jr., and Councilmember Tom LaBonge on Saturday, August 7, 2010.
- Jonathan Gold, a well-respected and longtime food critic for L.A. Weekly. He has previously written for the Los Angeles Times and Gourmet magazine, among many others. In 2007, he became the first food critic to win the Pulitzer Prize.
- Ludo Lefebvre, chef of the wildly popular restaurant event, LudoBites, has been named one of the World’s 50 Greatest Chefs by Relais & Chateaux and was nominated by the James Beard Foundation for a Rising Star Chef Award. Chef Ludo has also been seen on such shows as Top Chef Masters, Iron Chef America and The Today Show.
- Sandra Oh, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild award-winning star of Grey’s Anatomy, with critical turns inSideways, Under the Tuscan Sun, and Arli$$.
- Consul General Jae Soo Kim of the Republic of Korea.
CONFIRMED SOJU MIX-OFF JUDGES:
- The KTOWN COWBOYS, that’s right – Danny Cho, Lanny Joon, Sunn Wee, Peter “Pedro” Jae and Bobby “Big Phony” Choy all back together to judge the Mix-Off after their star turns in the smash hit Ktown Cowboys.
CONFIRMED RESTAURANTS AND VENDORS (With more rolling in daily):
- BCD Tofu House: Sizzling LA galbi, cut across the bone.
- Byul Gobchang: Crispy marinated intestines. That’s right.
- Cherry on Top: Frozen yogurt. Your way.
- Chuncheon Dakgalbi: Chicken galbi, grilled to perfection.
- Coolhaus: The best ice cream sandwiches in L.A., some say. We agree.
- Ham Ji Park: Mouth-watering pork ribs, the best in town.
- Hansong: Beefy deliciousness.
- Kalbi Burger: Burgers, KoreanAmericanized.
- O Dae San: Pork belly. Oh glorious pork belly…
- Olympic Cheonggukjang: Pork bulgogi, thin-sliced meat in a savory-sweet sauce.
- Park’s BBQ: The One. The Only.
- Scoops: Unique, utterly delicious ice creams.
- Seoul Sausage Company: Kalbi? Inside a sausage? With slaw on top? This new company has something really interesting going on.
- Soowon Galbi: One of the best and most-highly rated Korean BBQ restaurants in Ktown.
WHEN: Saturday, August 7, 2010 from 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- 2:00 pm – All-You-Can-Eat contest with mystery ingredient *
- 3:30 pm – Soju Mix-Off, sponsored by Jinro and Sauce LA
- 5:00 pm – Cook-Off competition
- 6:15 pm – Awards ceremony
WHERE: The event will take place on the upper parking lot of the 3600 Wilshire building, located at 3600 Wilshire Blvd. Between Kingsley Dr. and Harvard Blvd.
Parking is $5 at Paramount Parking, the parking lot for the 3580 Wilshire Building. Entrance is on the west side of Ardmore.
- FREE entrance!
- BOOTH OPERATORS AT THIS EVENT WILL ONLY ACCEPT $5 VENDOR VOUCHERS. Please bring cash to exchange for vouchers. Ticket exchange booths will accept CASH ONLY.
- Beer garden!
- Other food booths will include (tentative list): Cool Haus, shaved ice, drinks, grilled corn, and more!
- Barbecue categories will include LA galbi (marinated bone-in beef ribs), galbi (marinated boned-out beef ribs), pork ribs, and bulgogi (marinated sliced sirloin).
- Don’t forget cash, sunscreen and please leave all pets at home!
- Go green! Carpool, bike or exit the purple line Metro stop: Wilshire/Western or Wilshire/Normandie
- FREE bike valet via Flying Pigeon LA will be available at the event from noon – 6pm.
AFTERPARTY AT CAFE BLEU:
Cafe Bleu (6th and Alexandria) will be serving Cook-Off attendees starting at 8 pm. The winning Mixologist’s cocktail will be served till closing.
SPONSORS: Asiana Airlines, City of Los Angeles, Citysearch, CRA/LA, Five Star Martial Arts, Good Karma Beverage Inc., Granny Choe Kimchi Co., Hite Brewing Co., Jamison Services, JayOne, Jinro Soju, Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, KoreAm Journal, Korean American Family Services Center, Korean Cultural Center Los Angeles, Korean Health, Education, Information, and Research Center, Koreatown Youth and Community Center, Little Tokyo Marketplace, State Farm, Wilshire Park Dental Group.
Visit http://kbbqcookoff.com/ for more information.